Searching for a wedding photographer
So I am engaged, and a wedding photographer, so my opinion may be a little biased. But for me, the two most important aspects I am looking for in my wedding planning are:
Everything else is secondary in my opinion. Yes, makeup is super important, the DJ to keep everyone dancing and having fun, and the coordinator to keep everything on track when that is the last thing I want to be thinking about!
Try before you buy?
I am going to give you my best advice for wedding planning, but with a very big disclaimer. When I make a really large purchase, I like to know beforehand that I am making the best decision. Well, you don’t get married every week, so how do you know about wedding vendors?
- Reviews- Read reviews everywhere: Facebook, Google, Wedding companies. If they have reviews turned off that is a red flag.
- When it comes to choosing your hair and makeup, look for something that makes you feel comfortable. If you don’t normally wear makeup, then don’t go with someone that really overdoes it. You deserve to feel the most beautiful on your big day!
- With that in mind, try out your vendors. Use your engagement session as a tryout for your hair and makeup artist, your photographer, even your venue if you want.
- Many wedding photographers take anywhere between 20-50% deposits, which is a huge investment. You may find the perfect photographer and just know, that’s the one! Or you may be back in forth.
- If you have time, you can always setup an engagement session and try out your wedding photographer before you sign that big contract.
- Disclaimer– I would only do this if you do not have a set date yet with your venue. The reason why is we get booked up, and fast.
- If you find your perfect wedding photographer, talk to them! Find out what dates they are available and what dates your venue is available BEFORE YOU BOOK. So many times I have couples reach out and say, you ARE our wedding photographer, we love you, your work, everything!!! And then they give us their date, and we are booked. *Cries*